Sunday 20 October 2013

GAMECITY SPECIAL 1: Turtle, Turtle, Turtle... PIG!

As Nottingham's wonderfully huge and varied video game festival is back for another year of fun and frolics, I thought I'd veer off message for a few posts and instead recount the fun to be had at GameCity.

Throughout it's 8 year history, I've had only minimal involvement with GameCity, mainly taking advantage of talks and social events held at Antenna, my personal highlight being Rebecca Mayes' talk and performance.
But now, through the power of freelance, I'm able to organise my schedule in such a way as to soak in all the gaming goodness I can take. This began on Friday night visiting the opening event with a bunch of my former colleagues.

Pixel Pyros

 

Pixel Pyros, a Brighton-based company, brought their huge, interactive digital firework display to a massive screen mounted in front of the Council House. As a hater of fireworks (there was a terrible mishap with a Roman Candle and a canoe that I'd rather not talk about) the idea of pretty coloured lights that couldn't fall off their makeshift launching platform and shoot flaming missiles of death directly into your non-fireproof body sounded really great.

And it was, although the laser element should probably have come with an epilepsy warning. Even more fun than the fireworks themselves was watching the members of the crowd playing at launching them. Feverishly waving their arms in front of the glowing trigger orbs, some turning it into a dance, some not even looking at the effect they were having, just hammering away like cavemen bashing on rocks, lost in primal noise-making. Just as our most curmudgeonly colleague was complaining that it was boring and the graphics weren't even very good despite just being coloured dots, Pixel Pyros switched it up by throwing in a massive game of space invaders. At this point, ol' moany piped up; "Ooh, shall we play?" and skipped off to join a sizeable queue of prospective button pushers.

I stayed where I was, preferring to watch and hurl abuse at those not pulling their weight than actually partaking myself. After my colleagues had laid waste to the alien onslaught, the game changed again to a frenetic multiplayer version of Asteroids. After a tense moment where a tiny asteroid circled the screen for what felt like a full minute with no-one able to shoot it, the level was cleared, and the game cycled back to fireworks to give those still waiting in line their chance to flap around dementedly. We took this as our cue to head off for alcoholic beverages.

Frogger

Day Two of Game City, I didn't have a whole lot of time, as I was enroute to a birthday shindig in Sheffield, but I managed to squeeze in a nosey at the big dance-mat controlled game of Frogger happening in Market Square and a trip to the Open Arcade (which I'll get to, calm down). While watching a small girl send the suicidal amphibian leaping between articulated lorries, I was horrified to hear a man in his forties remark to his son; "Look, you gotta get the green fing frew the traffic or summat. Y'wanna go?" I fought down the urge to grab him by the lapels of his jacket and scream; "HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW WHAT FROGGER IS?!" and instead proceeded to the arcade.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Filled with my natural enemy, the small child, Open Arcade was heaving with noise and movement. But for once, rather than being driven to an incandescent rage at all those sticky hands clinging to controllers, it made me smile to see a small boy tugging at his mother's arm as she was thoroughly engrossed in a game of Wonderboy, before heading off to play Micro Machines with a Game City rep while waiting for her to finish her run.

Apparently the enemies aren't bat-cockroach rats.They're these.
The only game that was unoccupied was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and I quickly found out why. I originally owned this game on the Atari ST, but this was the NES edition, and so I will blame my complete lack of ability on that. After getting Raphael squashed under a tank in a matter of seconds, I rapidly offed Donatello by taking too long to master the crouch/hit combo and being devoured by the bat/cockroach/rat things swooping about in the sewers. Michaelangelo fared a little better, but after approximately 500 attempts to clear a large gap requiring a double jump and successful attack, I was forced to throw down my controller in a temper quietly retire to the Coffee House.

Space Farmers

Today, nursing hangovers and with the Corporation's awesome setlist still pounding in our ears, my husband and I returned to the Arcade to experience it together. Today, all the consoles were in use, but the developer stalls were less saturated, so we sidled over to the wonderfully named Bumpkin Brothers to try out their co-op adventure puzzle game Space Farmers.

The cute boxy art style (the characters are literally, in the proper sense of the word, boxes) won me over straight away, and after an initial embarrassing inability to co-ordinate my brain and hands between mouse and keyboard, I soon got into the quirky game play. Naturally the first thing my beloved attempted to do was shoot me, then on finding he couldn't do that, harassed me in various other ways before eventually playing as intended so we could solve the puzzle ahead. This involved shooting aggressive robots and blocking laser beams with a cubic pig, which I was very reluctant to leave behind, despite the developers insisting I really didn't need to take him into the end of level teleporter with me. Any game involving farm animals, lasers and a character with a beard and a monocle gets a big tick from me.

It shames me to say that my 'exhaustion' then overtook me with such force, I was unable to catch the name of the next game we played and after one round of fast moving, Wipeout-like racing, we were both left feeling rather overheated and queasy and had to beat a hasty retreat from the poor dev. Hopefully he'll be there tomorrow so I can have another go when feeling less fragile.



No comments:

Post a Comment